Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I Remember Being Born, I Saw You Come out.

Baby You Came into this World, As if you'd been lynched. Heart rate faint They were going to cut Your momma's poompoom, As if teamwork wasn't only your's (you two) Till late. Just to sample fate, It was my dyress, Which left breathing, A test. My lungs unconvinced, Necessity, at rest. You, untwirled and unsquoze, Filled the room with the most beautiful cry, As Red a face can get. I looked into your eyes, Your embilical, my lance to confess, Separation, Impalement, Relied. Brand new, Both your wound, And air to your skin. We gazed at eachother, Through all eternity, a new beginning, Your guidance begun. I remember, How blurry my first gaze. Unfamiliarity, but the world within, Nothing akin. My mother's swollen body, My first glimpse, As they rolled me by, When. But I made sure that, She above her bed. I had but a moment, My first connection, them. I still saw her, though. Eyes hollow, Jaundice set it. Skin so tawt. Through the foggy window, As the rolled me by her bed, To partitioned, Sterile, somewhere. My lungs burning, Air, forcing them. Partitioned Procedured without you, Mama. You, Asleep, Just them. No one knowing that I'm speaking, can't even listen. If all I was supposed to, Fill my bags with hot air, Oxygen in the blood again. They kept me on a ventilator for 24 hrs, back then. But having been forced to watch them work for me. I knew how to breath, the second breath in. They weened me off ventilation, meticulously progressed, Thin. I lived away from my mother for six weeks, As they called it healing, My isolet kept my temperature in. Freedom, My mama's nipple, Suckle, A hard thing to work in. Had the doctor's Waited any longer, "Who knows" would have made it, She and I'd be dead. Were it not for one doctor, A black man, My savior, In. Not many endure What premature beginnigs Win. Finding myself struggling to Match the rhythm of a machine, Only tolerance, Patience, Win. What elation We al must have felt. No breathing tube Still in. The same way I started breathing, A bicycle, My transportation, then. But before I lent my tricycle, My parents, Walking, A chore to them. Imagine, Finding me, Making do, Just showing off for a friend. See man, When you came out, All wrapped in your embilical. That last push? Left your ability in. Your momma gave it her all, And we got you, in the end. I hope someday, You and I can talk About how blurry the world was, When we first stepped in!

No comments: